Tuesday, September 13, 2005

What The Hell Was I Thinking?!




I thought I would let you in on the latest accomplishments of this domestically challenged princess... So after taking home 20 pounds of peaches from Deeterring farms and seeing as their time in this life is rather short I decided I would put them all to good use... First I made pies... Like 5 of them... 30 peaches to go... Then I gave them to the neighbors... 15 peaches to go... I am watching them fight time in my fridge and decide to do something about it... So I run out to Walmart and buy out their canning department. I stare at the directions thinking, hell, I have a masters degree, surely I can make jam. How hard could it be? So I blanch the peaches, peel them, dice them, and set them aside for when I get off work... Little did I know that Cheryl would want me to drive her to Oakridge in the middle of the night. But that didn't stop me. At 10:30 at night I was banging on doors, passing out blueberries, and borrowing pots for the occasion. Again, back to staring at the directions, with no idea what I am doing... It said to use a 7 quart pot, but seeing as I have no spatial reasoning skills, I used what I had... Only to turn the heat up, turn around, and come back to flames, smoke, and a flooding pot that was destroying my burners and stove top...
Did that stop me? Hell no...
My immediate reaction was to grab the camera and document the scene for my own record if not for the insurance company that would undoubtedly wonder what I did to burn the house down....
So I am dancing around the kitchen, with giant tongs to extract the jars from the boiling water, spilling boiling sugar all over the house, and on the side, landing some in the jars...
So an hour and a half later... I proudly stand next to my final product, which tastes great, wondering how the hell I made it through the whole thing and what I could have possibly been thinking pouring all that stuff in such a small pot and leaving it on high...
Lucky to be alive and very proud...
I made jam.... Wooo Whoooo....

No comments: