Saturday, September 10, 2005

Pimp My Ride

Yeah, when my sister came to visit me, I volunteered to pick her up from the airport... Only to be trapped in a funnel on the 205 freeway, as all the cars attempted to cram themselves through all the construction... 1 hour later and 1 mile closer to the gate... I was loosing it. But this is all besides the point, as usual...
I finally inch my way towards the terminal... screaming "Corky!" at the top of my lungs... Hoping that she will hear my voice and find the car crawling through traffic... (I knew the chances of me finding her within the small window of time it took to lap the airport was small and the chances of her wandering off were pretty high) but none the less... I acquired corky and all of her things... She seemed happy to see me and we went on our way...

I had been listening to my ipod shuffle during the trip and asked if she would like to join in... So here we are, driving down the freeway, each of us with a white ear bud in our ears, connected by a string to each other... With me screaming every few minutes, when she would unintentionally move her head and send my stereo flying out of my ear... Between that, the fact that the heater is on regardless of outside temperatures to save the car from over heating, and driving without a dash light (having to turn on the dome light frequently to gauge approximate speed), Corky said I was definitely a canidate for pimp my ride...

The thing is... I never found any of this odd... I never really do. I live under the strangest of circumstances, and assume the rest of the world is with me... I thought everyone kept 6 quarts of motor oil and power steering fluid in their trunk. If they don't they really should. I am a mechanic on wheels, with the subtlest of sounds triggering thoughts of the next thing I need to replace. I have definitely gotten used to the constant shaking... One day, the engine stopped thrashing and I thought something was wrong. It took me all day to realize the familiar thrashing had ended... And unlike normal people, who would think that was a good thing, I was instantly paranoid that the silence was a sign the car was going to die soon...

But on the up side, with my new job, I soon will be able to lay Squishy to rest and get something new... It's not that hard and I will get there soon...

2 comments:

Sara said...

You can call it Squishy #2!

Miss Clare said...

it's actually Squishy nuber 1
Squishy 1: car AKA Squish-mobile
Squishy 2: Glass Octopus
Squishy 3: Foam Sheep
Squishy 4: Laptop AKA Bently
Squishy 5: Foam body pillow

and of course my first born will be Squishy # 6... ha ha
that kid will hate me