Sunday, September 04, 2005

Middle of Nowhere

Mystic River
This is the secluded destination my sister and I hiked to on Saturday. A friend of ours tells us that there is this great waterfall up Dead Indian Road in Ashland, (He forgot to mention it was 20 miles out of town, and then another five miles on foot through the cliffs of insanity). Having had said information, I would not have worn my teacher clothes and proceeded to fall ass first down the side of a mountain. Well at least we came prepared...with food and water... Which played as more of an obstacle when it came to scaling up and down the mountains with plastic bags in hand. This for the most part was a successful mission, until Corky, who was coming down the hill last, snagged her bag on a stick and sent a container of salsa pummeling down the mountain in my direction... Sadly the salsa is no longer with us... but the memory lives on. (I was actually way more sad about that loss than I should have been... Corky's friend bought some Hummus for the chips...and I am less than an avid hummus fan, I was more than happy to bring my own alternative.) The hummus also made a mad dash down the mountain, but s fortune would have it, it was the only to survive.
At any rate we had a lovely time taking turns as the main characters in Cliffhanger, and proudly staring down on the world below from our new found heights. The joy was soon turned back to fear, as I immediately thought of climbing blindly down the rock face in reverse... But I hate to be Debbie Downer, it was beautiful, and we survived.
So good times, rock on.

No comments: