Wednesday, March 19, 2008

My Morning

Just thought I would let you all in on the antics that went down this morning just after the sun came up, and shed a little more light on why more often than not I am a little more than "fashionably late" for the beginning of my days...

So let me just set the tone by giving a little insight on the clock scenario going on in my house... So far daylight savings has taken the usual catastrophic toll on my schedule... Usually I just ignore the clocks entirely, not that I could reach them if I wanted... I usually just do a bit of mental math in the morning to see how far behind I am and it generally works out.

But lately that plan has not entirely worked... I came home the other night to find that it had been 9:45 for entirely too long. I glanced at the clock as I fell asleep to The Sward in the Stone and was surprised to find that I had not been sleeping more than a few minutes, which seemed odd... I glanced into the kitchen to see it was three hours later according to clock number two...

So days went by with the pathetic second hand bouncing back and forth in place... I finally broke down, put on my bathrobe, trekked out to the car in the rain and retrieved the necessary batteries to remedy the situation.

Hours went by and I finally mustered the energy to fix the thing...

So now the kitchen is off by an hour and the living room is right on schedule... I can handle that... it's just a side note and an explanation as to why I might not be on time for some events....

Back to the morning from saturday night live...

So I get up to my alarm, lie in bed for an hour and a half, like I usually do... wander into the bathroom ready to take a shower... Just as I am about to start my routine I hear Autumn's alarm go off on her phone, indicating I am behind schedule and that she will need to be out the door soon as well...

So I dive in the shower, fumble with the curtain and fight the latest annoyance of the constant spray of cold water that has recently sprouted out of the shower fixture... It has the added bonus of covering the floor with water from every direction... So I go about configuring the curtain in such a way as it's only function is to keep the daily flood from soaking the floor...

I finally get out of the shower and get dressed... Autumn is standing in a towel waiting for her turn...
I haven't even brushed my teeth yet, so in an awkward move she hops in and I attempt to finish getting ready at the same time.. While searching for some random thing under the sink the drawer falls out of it's socket and hits the ground. Nothing is where I left it and I am trying to give Autumn a little privacy and get out of her way... Just as I head down stairs to find my shoes and tell Autumn good bye all hell breaks loose... Suddenly the CD player which is set to full blast starts skipping madly, the smoke alarm goes off from all the steam, I am 20 minutes late and scrambling for anything I can find to fan the screeching alarm... Inadvertently I grab an envelope filled with cards written to me from children... I begin fanning the alarm and shower the handmade cards all over the second floor and the stairs...

I start cracking up laughing, the alarm stops, and just as I am headed down the stairs again it goes back off...

So here it is, not even 8 Am and we are making an insane amount of noise...
Finally I subdued the evil alarm, which prior to this event I had wondered if actually worked in the first place...

So yeah, that was my morning... There are still little cards all over the house... and I almost fell down the stairs trying to make my escape...

Good times.

No comments: