Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Dabbles in Baking: Banana Bread

Recently I have come into possession of a Sunbeam Express Bake Bread Machine...
A foreign concept to a do it your-self baker as myself.

I approach the contraption with apprehension and caution, as I am sure just like Hal, it is out to get me... Waiting for me to leave it unattended and come home to find my gold fish lying on the floor covered in flour.
(though that has already happened under different circumstances...
fish-stick is in a better place now, and I don't want to talk about it...)

So to start off the process I scour the Internet for a decent recipe to start with...
Something simple, basic, and sharable.

I decide Banana Bread is a fragrant pick and would have the added bonus of making my home smell like anything other than dust and burnt plastic. Not believing that you can simply dump your concoction directly into the thing and walk away, I go out and track down the manual... 80 pages of tedious, mind numbing fun, and no mention of banana bread... every other recipe under the sun, including French Onion Soup Bread.... but no Banana bread....

So out to the Internet again, thrown on the whims of bored individuals who came before me and discovered the formula to create my elusive bread.

Through my readings, well more uninterested skimmings, I gleaned one main rule to be observed, on penalty of severe burns and misfortune.... do not open the bread maker after starting the thing...
I repeat, to avoid threat of loss of life or limb, do not open the bread maker....

It obviously releases the evil spirits that exacted revenge on the crew of (insert forgotten movie title here).
At any rate... this bread maker seems like a handy new gizmo that will save me much time and energy...
It even has a timer on it...
Only 58 more minutes (minus 20 min for cooling) till I can throw it away and start over,
cause I forgot to add the butter,
and can't open the machine.

No comments: