Thursday, September 04, 2008

Motivated Daze

After the first day back with students and staying in my classroom, pleading with the help not to turn the alarm on before midnight so I will have a few more minutes to get my room ready for the more than 100 students that will be passing through my doors in the comming day... to no avail. I gather my things, flying around peeling and scrubbing the table tops, considering the benefits of resurfacing them all... and convincing myself that I have the time and energy to accomplish it in the wee hours when my students are fast asleep in anticipation of the comming days with their friends.

All of these frantic efforts are fueled with anticipation, stress, and an unlimited supply of caffine; all of which are necessary to keep me in motion at top speed.

Secretly I would prefer no one could see the frantic antics that take place before and after school and secure the wizzard behind the curtain mystery.

I was just sitting down and looking back on the path that led me to my chosen profession. I know I give the occupation a bit of flack at times just for the amazing amount of things that need to be done just to keep everyone going, but truely it was a goal of mine from a very young age.

I remember staring up at my second grade teacher with admiration as he taught us songs and helped us make houses out of cookies... I couldnt imagine a better way to spend my life, helping children learn to read, count, play, and grow.

So I set to my task of realizing this dream as only a seven year old could. I sat in the sunshine with a piece of paper behind my home and spent hours tirelessly practicing the perfect stars to put on my children's papers. For a seven year old this was hard work... It was a crafted art that I seldom use but still retain...

I always knew what I wanted to do... and never had any doubt, I could always easily walk in front of a crowd and demand all of their attention... Even now, when the students are easily half a foot taller than me...

Today I sat with my 7th graders for lunch in the cafeteria and almost had to raise my hand to be excused since I was the same size as the majority of them...

At any rate... I was just as driven as I am now as I was as a small child and refuse to leave when everyone turns out the lights...

No comments: