Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Losing It...

So I come home the other day...
Autumn is working hard and staring deeply into the little laptop on the coffee table.
She looks up and says in an irritated tone, "There are a bunch of flies in the house."
So I take in the words and let them pass by instantly, since it sounds like a small inconvenience that will subside soon.
I go about my evening in my room without giving it a second thought.
But today I come home after a long day of work, sit down on the couch with a bowl of leftovers and am immediately assaulted by these little winged beasts. I am alarmed at their inconsiderate flight paths and how they completely ignore my request to be left alone. So I am suddenly in the same boat Autumn was the day before, and I can't take another second of these unwanted guests.
I search through the downstairs closet, until I find my secret weapon... an electric tennis racket that I couldn't have spent more than a dollar on... and just as one could predict, it is completely dead and useless, leaving me to wield a heavy racket at my nimble adversaries... who escape with ease...
My kingdom for a fly-swatter...
I finally break down, grab the inept butterfly net that sits by the door and head straight into attack mode, flying around the house with a children's net and large book, capturing and pummeling any creature that has the misfortune of falling into my line of sight... Even now, there are at least two to go and I will not be able to function until they are gone....
Lame...

No comments: