Friday, September 26, 2008

Glimmering Glass on a Sunday Afternoon

Cranberry GlassGlass Side

This scene struck me as odd... in a way that seemed secretly targeted at me...
Those close to me know I collect cranberry pirex, for no apparent reason, and let that stand without comment, but it seemed so out of the ordinary for Jen and I to pass by this display on our way down an abandoned street in search of garage sales... In the middle of no where, with not a soul in sight stands a dismal home with no signs of life and a huge xylophone of glass on the front lawn. The display congures images from horror films where the observer is sure that lurking around the next corner a man with a chainsaw waits for his next victim. But fears aside, I saw this as an opportunity not to be missed, stepped out of the car and up to the odd creation left to conjure confusion, music, and wonder. I secretly ached slightly at the fate of so many of my favorite things... Knowing they had been poached for their lids alone, and that the rest would have been cast aside... Jen tried to comfort me with tales that the counterparts were surely inside in a place of honor, though I responded that a purple mosaic of broken glass in the back yard seemed more fitting the artist's style...

No comments: