Friday, September 19, 2008

Friday at Last

So this week has passed by quickly, allowing me to sit down and take a few minutes to prepare for the coming week.
The students are much better behaved than last year and our work is coming along fairly well overall...
I only have a few random munchkins that are off the charts and out of line...
Randomly, many of the students who posed issues last year are actually making progress this year.
It's exciting to see the students that made you worried as a teacher do a turn around and start making progress, even being helpful...
The computers are still in various stages of completion with Teachers freaking out and getting stressed...
So I will be renaming and reimaging over the weekend to help the process get underway...
There was just one set back after the next to bring us to where we are now...
I still have to come up with 8 power strips that hold 8 outlets each, drill holes in the walls, install the file separators, and label the bays for each machine... Then I get to continue reallocating machines to their new homes and setting them up to get online...
It has been quite the process, since we are switching from an alternating schedule with full classroom sets, to a new system where there is a half class set of machines in the room at all times.
This creates interesting issues, since there need to be enough machines to meet the needs of half the students at all times... This means we have to provide equipment based on the highest number of students that travel into each room every day. So if there is a cluster of students (38 in some cases) that are in the room for only a 45 minute period, I have to have 19 laptops in the room, even though the rest of the day the room only holds 30 students... So that means that we are taking 4 machines and dedicating them to a room that only needs them for a tiny portion of the day, and further puts a strain on the demand for equipment.
In a perfect world there would be a more even distribution of resources and students to ensure that only the necessary number of machines would be in place and there would not be any additional waste in the form of unused machines...
So I am hoping that when we get through there will at least be enough to cover our bases, but at this point, with new students arriving each day, this is becoming a little less realistic.

So I will do my part and we will see what we will see... And by my part, I mean something that is completely outside of my job description... But that is all fine and well since I have the master plan for it all... It just seems a little late in the game to be getting started and I seem to be the target of our staff since they assume I have control over these things, which is not always the case...

But I am sure that after the initial installation of machines in the rooms and the fun process of helping new students to learn their log in and passwords, that we will be on the right track... We will see how it goes...

Good times...

No comments: