Sunday, May 04, 2008

Look Mom, No Brakes!

So Autumn just got a new bike...
She had me try it out...
I ended up going on a 6 block tour of terror since I didn't know how to stop the thing.

It is a trick bike.
The trick is slowing down without introducing your face to the asphalt.

The deal is there is only one chain and it is directly linked to the back tire:
So when you stop pedaling, you stop...

This was a little intimidating to me, and quite the test of agility and speed of mind.
It takes a whole new thought process to make the jump from a street bike with hand brakes, to a cruiser with pedal brakes, to a trick bike with no brakes...
I have done them all this week and am a little discombobulated on account of all the different needs...

So I don't think I will be trying that one again, but have gained a new found appreciation for those who have mastered the skill.

Audi was going to be daring and take it out for a spin in the garden, but decided against it since I have taken the day off to chill and clean... No one wants to die alone and I would like to be there when the train comes... Just to explain the scenario to the paramedics...

I am sure she will be a pro in no time...

Good times, game on, I will buy more Band-Aids.

No comments: