Friday, May 16, 2008

It's Getting Hot

Barely noon and my room is quickly rising to a temperature that is less than barrable. May 16th and no end in sight... The students sink in their chairs like wilted flowers, only revived temporarily by the oscillating fan in the center of the room. The heat rising from the many machines running in time only intensifies the feeling of sticky heat combined with the lack of circulation of air in my room... A mere two feet away the hallway is at least ten degrees cooler, with many students making this discovery for themselves and finding any excuse to leave the room.

This is only the beginning, the place was only in the 80's... I can only look forward to the issues that will arise when we hit triple digits...

I spent the day drinking copious amounts of water and watching the students in the halls take turns dumping their water bottles on each other to make the day more comfortable.

I came home at the end of the day, after resorting to driving my car with a towel over the steering wheel, and collapsed on the couch. So far the new place is standing it's own in the new temperatures, and it is apparent that I chose the perfect time to rip the heater out of the wall... I was out for 2 and a half hours before being awoken by Autumn and her latest score from Starbucks...

I can't wait..

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you could douse your highest achieving kids with a super soaker as an incentive to the others...? Or, as a way to tell who's faking and who's actually fainted from the heat.
And to think we were desperate for warm weather to finally arrive. There's just no pleasing us western Oregonians...