Monday, August 02, 2010

Day One: Photos from the Front Line

IMG_0122
IMG_0116
IMG_0100

So today has been quite an adventure... We have gone about 4,000 miles today, not counting the drive to San Fran...

Autumn and I made it down to San Fran in style and spared no expense when it came to resting up in style...
Ok, we drove non stop all the way down and almost ended up sleeping in a strawberry patch.
Finally, around 2 am. I casually mentioned that I had the address to a nearby camp site in my phone and the reaction was pretty funny...
We showed up in a KOA outside of Sacramento and it was everything I could have hoped for and more...
I had never been to a KOA camp site... I was very impressed by the showers, pool, crafts, sports, and even free go-carts that were available for the kiddos passing through...
After getting just a few hours sleep we headed off into the city and began our adventure around Golden Gate Park...

I was very impressed with how easy it was to get through the airport in San Fran... When we reached the counter for Taca Air the man behind the counter printed our passes and asked how many pieces of luggage we would be checking... We said none and without even looking at our things we were sent out on our way... Prior to this we were shuffling and repacking over and over trying to meet the weight requirements for the carry on luggage. After getting in line with the rest of the passengers I saw that no one was anywhere neat matching the limits and the airline couldn't have been less concerned.

We had two flights throughout the day... 5 hours to El Salvador and then 3 more to Lima.
The flight was awesome... Free drinks, mimosas, headphones, movies, meals, snacks and friendly staff. All of our flight attendants were men who were sharply dressed complete with ties and waistcoats...

When we arrived in Lima, we were greeted by our tour and taken to Miraflores. I immediately crashed, took a dip in the jacuzzi, and started charging every device I own...

We had a Pisco Sour with dinner and had a great time trying to communicate with the kitchen staff... I pointed to a dish and asked what it was... moments later the kitchen (which is behind glass in view of the dining area) was filled with smoke and our chef was har at work... He just took the liberty of making the first thing I pointed at, which turned out to be great.

Tomorrow we tour the city and from there we are off to Manchu Pichu....

Good times.

No comments: