Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Weekly Update

So this week, things are really going better in my largest class. I don't know if it's the weather, students getting used to me, or that they are all worn out from a big weekend, but they were borderline perfect by my newly lowered expectations. They really know what they are doing... Be completely off the walls for the first week, and set the bar for the rest of the Summer. So of course by comparison, now they couldn't be better...

So we actually made some progress Monday. I set them up in front of the projector, and showed a slide show using proscope images. I then explained that we would be making these today and that they could be used to wow their parents.

So we went over the concepts as many times as possible and like it or not, most of them got it.

And we assembled our class tree... I went on a mad hunt to find some brown paper, through my self on the ground with Sharpee in hand, and quickly traced out the ugliest tree known to man. I then promptly sprinkled a handful of scissors on the ground and announced I needed helpers. Those kids took to the task like a swarm of locus, and in moments flat my tree was on the wall...

Other developments... Apparently I am going to have some visitors for the next few weeks. It turns out that Korea mandated Talented and Gifted education be available for all eligible students in 2000. So the next logical step would be to observe countries that you surpass in every category... Sure. Yes, academically they are doing better than us from what I can tell, so I was surprised to hear there would be a group of 33 teachers coming all the way from Korea to observe our humble little camp. But why not?

Just Keep in Mind: the group of observers is twice the size of my largest class... I can't even imaging the effect it will have on my class of 4. They say, just do what you normally do and don't worry about the crowd. This all is beginning to make me feel like a exhibit in a museum. I just hope they can read the signs and won't try to feed us...

anyways, that's all folks.

1 comment:

Gabriel Hurley said...

How funny (ironic?) that you've just started teaching the class, and already you have a delegation from Korea to deal with.