Thursday, June 29, 2006

My Summer is Super, Thanks for asking

Ok, so I am now done with my first week of summer teaching. And what a week it has been. Today was parent visitation day, and for the amount of money they have invested in their children, of course they want to see what goes on.

I, being the slightly spacey lady we all know I am, was not privy to this information. So I sit down with my first class, joined by a certain mother, who immediately pulls up a chair and stairs blankly at me for some time. After clearing that matter up, I do my best to engage the class in a series of meaningful activities, including the Cricket song... Where I get up like an idiot and shake around the room. So that went well...

Class two, my year book class. These kids have it down. I send them off with missions to take pictures around the school, they come back, import their photos, and begin writing articles. Super

My last class. These kids have we around their finger... This is my largest class, kindergarten, and three of them don't speak English, or so they pretend. Yeah, I have a hard time giving demos on technology when a 5th of my class is completely ignoring me and hitting anyone within range. So yeah, that has been a challenge. I really need to lay down some more boundaries for the group so we can make more progress...

So tomorrow I will be chaparoning a field trip and so on...

But now, I must pass out from exhaustion...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No WONDER teachers usually retire in their early 50's...I won't go into my other thoughts on that subject. Quite possibly, their lifespans have been foreshortened by career-long second-hand growth hormone exposure. A room full of 5-6 year olds...so cute at that age. And with slightly less impulse control than chimpanzees.
I hope Super Summer isn't ALL summer... If you need a hug, call me!

Miss Clare said...

We all need a hug... and after my first to days, I was thinking of having a frontal labotomy to numb the situation.

I needd to work of getting control. I think a train whistle may help. But 2 out of 3 isn't so bad, and we are all still doing great things, Just not listening to me.

Super