Sunday, June 07, 2009

The Unlikely Sandwich

Yesterday I embarked on my usual ritual of stopping by antique stores and my weekly estate sale to wind up wandering down main street in Springfield. In my wanderings I entered a shop I had never seen.
From the outside it seemed like any other large scale antique shop, with many nick-nacks lining the windows and taking up all available space.

It reminded me of a glimpse of my future home if I continue on my path of collecting needless things, in the hopes that someday they will in fact be valuable...
But upon entering the door I new something was different...
A lady called from the counter, "Are you here to eat or browse?"
It struck me as odd, since from first glance there were no outward signs of this establishment also being a restaurant...
"Browse" I mumbled as I attempted to take it all in...

Through my winding path through this enormous building I was surprised to find vintage tables in every nook of the place, often inhabited by guests who seemed surprised to see me, having perhaps forgotten that they were in an antique store...
I went on my way making new discoveries at each turn to reveal an ice cream parlor with 50's stools clumsily bolted to the floor, not far from the man who sat at an ancient piano belting out popular tunes...

After taking it all in, I settled into the "Halloween" section, and was soon greeted by a young waitress with a 60's cart in tow showering my friend and I with bubbles and offering us drinks in mason jars....
After glancing at the expansive menu we settled on trying their egg salad sandwiches and tomato soup...

I was so surprised to find such a wonderful place in such an odd location...
The food was spectacular, the music was great, and the scenery was a new experience to be had...

I really can't wait to try it again, and will keep you posted...

Ruthy B's Antiques and Cafe....

No comments: