Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Two Days to Go

So my next appointment is Friday... We will see if I am fit to hit the streets or if I am looking forward to an extended sentence of hopping and hobbling. The last thing I would want is to rush this and prolong any long term problems... So day by day we will see what we will see...

I was just sitting on my couch... and I can't help but crack up when I look at my leg. I mean come on... Mild mannered, masters degree, technology teaching me... The one that seldom comes out of the house, avoids parties, and likes to knit and bake pies, and I am the one with 6 screws and a metal plate in my leg. From skydiving no less. I could never have imagined a less probable injury for myself. I always took pride in my abilities to avoid all seemingly dangerous situations, and attempt all with extreme caution and guidance. So it just seems like a funny way to start each day; wanting to get up in the morning and get breakfast, and then realizing... you can't, you decided to go skydiving... It just seems like someone else's life, definitely not mine. Well at least I made it to 22 without ever having a major illness or any visit to the doctors that wasn't related to an ear ache or sun burn. So I guess that's good enough...
I really can't wait for this all to be over, it is really wearing me out. All the simple little tasks I took for granted, getting to my classroom, doing wiring, upgrading machines... It's all so much larger of a task than before... And I am tired all the time...

Anyways... We will see what we will see...

And in other news, since people are over my ordeal...
Autumn accidentally burned her eye with acid the other night. She was working late on a project and a small bit of the chemical got into her eye. She flushed it profusely with fluid and sought medical assistance. She seems to be doing better and we will be monitoring her progress... As a new visitor to the ER I wanted to welcome her to the winners circle... Wear that wrist band with pride... It's like the ultimate badge of shame... Kind of like the runner up token for the Darwin Awards...

We thought that if things keep going like they are that we will be coming to a freeway off ramp near you... Can you just see it... With an eye patch and leg brace, cardboard signs in hand... "Starving artist blinded by acid, and unemployed teacher, broke leg in skydiving accident" . Well hopefully she will be feeling better soon, and it won't have to come to that. I just want her to know that no matter what career choice she makes, she'll never be alone...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How'd it go? Are you free at last, thank God Almighty, free at last?
If you feel the irresistable impulse to fling your crutches off the roof of the hospital parking garage, make sure you holler "FORE!" or something to give the pigeons a head's up.
Is Autumn okay? If need be, I'm sure there's a Bible verse you could write on your cardboard signs about the lame and the blind.
Not like the dude at 11th and Chambers with the random sign that says": homeless vet, god bless, 4:19. Is he referring to the time of day?